Tuesday, October 19, 2010

More of the same

So...I had my 39 week appointment today, though I am not officially 39 weeks until Friday. It was HIGHLY uneventful. I has mentioned to Dr. E previously, rather in jest, that I didn't know why he'd bother checking for dilation, because it doesn't change things. I think he was listening, since that is almost exactly what he told me today, so no assessment. I am actually happy about that. I was curious, and had a little twinge of disappointment, but got over that quickly. If he doesn't feel like he needs to do one next week, I am down with that as well. For one, you could walk around for weeks several centimeters dilated. On the other hand, he could report that I had no dilation, which would bum me out, and I'd rather not know. I prefer to be hopeful, and just be ready whenever. The good news from the visit is that Dr. Salas-Myers agreed to take over my care if I deliver while Dr. E is out of town. He has already gone over my birthing wishes with her and she has no problems with that.

I just finished reading "Hypnobirthing" and wish that I had taken a class. I am not sure exactly how "deep" I will be able to train myself to go in the next two weeks, but I know I will benefit from at least some of it. There are things in that book that I am not completely sold on, so my approach will be an amalgamation of a few different methods. I am happy that my doula has also read the book, which she did once she learned that I was practicing it. But things like not allowing anyone to come visit unless they are there to do something for us, so as to not disrupt our bonding time, is bunk. Evie is one of the most sociable, loving kids and I am pretty sure I didn't cordon her off to myself, allowing no one to hold her for weeks. I am calling BS on that theory. That being said, I am actually quite happy that no one besides Alan, Lisa (Doula) and myself will be involved in the actual labor and birth. I truly will want to be unconcerned about anyone but us, and getting this guy out as gently and easily as possible. I do intend to keep him skin to skin for as long as they will allow, though. They will have to pry him away from me after he is born. I just want to meet him already!

I am actually doing fine other than the profound lack of sleep. It is a cruel irony that when you are this pregnant, you get crappy sleep, when you most need to stock up on rest! Practice, my ass. I don't need practice at not getting sleep! I need a good night's rest before I get ready to deliver this guy and start caring for him! Another (completely random) observation...How the hell am I supposed to be checking for the passage of this mucus plug? I can't see past my damn abdomen into the toilet. I don't really care to go scanning the bowl post-pee, either. I am going to stick to my current plan of just not wanting to know. If I pass it, it means nothing, anyway. Again...it could be weeks. Now...should I see any show or break my water, I will be a believer, but until then...I am just going to remain pregnant and hopeful. Did I mention that I had several rounds of contractions on Friday, for almost an hour, a bit over 5 minutes apart, but not even close to a minute each and certainly not intensifying...then they stopped, and not a peep since? At least SOMETHING is going on in there. I am fine with whatever happens, though I am really hoping for a spontaneous labor, some time before November 8...but if not, it just means that the little man needs more time to prepare (he will, after all, need to prepare himself to deal with his big sister!)

All else is good...Work has slowed, so I am now just doing preparations for my leave and my return to two new studies. I am now shadowing my replacement, instead of the other way around. Bodily...let's see. My right foot/ankle actually swells more than my left - weird, huh? But neither have gotten any worse as of late, just kind of generally puffy. No swelling in my hands or anywhere else, so that is good. No protein/glucose in urine, great BP, mild backaches, peeing ALL the time, the sleep thing, sporadic sciatica issues, but really not bad. Heartburn...how could I forget? That is one thing that gets pretty old, pretty quick.

I have so much to do still, completing the decoration of Sawyer's room...and I don't know why I am procrastinating! I have to finish his painting and some sewing projects, but I have gotten a few things done off my list. I packed my hospital bag, finally. I finished all the swaddling blankets for him, and I made his first stroller blanket, which came out AWESOME. I really love it. I hope he loves his as much as Evie loves her Blanket (notice, capitalization to denote it being its own entity...) I'll take some pictures of his room, as a few people have asked...but I really can't wait to get some motivation and get it ALL put together.

All right...rambling now, so I guess I had better go. To all of you out there who have recently had your babies come into your world (Beth - June is beautiful!!!) or are anxiously awaiting their arrival...I am thinking of you often. (Sange...stay in bed and Carly, you be a good girl and stay in Momma.) I am really trying to cherish these final days as I know they will be the last I will ever be pregnant. And then we get to meet Sawyer. And introduce him to his big sis and start our life together as four. Love to all, and I will update soon.

Mumma, Out

No comments:

Post a Comment