Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's a gusher

So...I am sitting here after a very interesting day, waiting for contractions to start, since my water broke two hours ago. Let me back up.

Yesterday, I noticed that I started to lose my mucus plug, a little bit at a time. I had my almost 40 week appointment this morning. After telling the doctor that there were no new symptoms, other than the little bits of plug dislodging, but no more contractions, etc. He did a cervical exam and when done said, "well...the good news is that you're going to have a baby, but just not today." He reported that I was not at all dilated, was 0% effaced, but that my cervix was soft. That was all. I left being pretty dejected and in a generally bad mood.

I went in to work and tried to get my mind off of the fact that it could be weeks more...17 days, to be exact, until I was two weeks over and would have to be induced. I left for home, made dinner, ate, and Alan, Evie and I were hanging out in Sawyer's room. I felt like my pelvis kind of hurt, so I got off the floor to sit in the cushy chair, sat down and felt a spurt of warm liquid. I thought I peed myself, though I tried to stop it, and it didn't work. Alan got a towel, thankfully before I got the chair wet. I moved tot he downstairs bathroom and kept trickling. I peed, and emptied my bladder and just sat there for a little bit. More mucous plug. I stood up from the toilet and trickled some more. Evie came in and asked me if I was pottying on the floor (not a good thing for her to see when we're trying to potty train, lol.) I went to the computer to try to look up t he likelihood of having just been assessed as so low on the Bishop's score this morning, but breaking my bag. I stood up from the computer, thinking I was being dumb, and I was just incontinent from coughing so much over the last few days (I've been sick.) Well...I stood up, and gush. Onto the towel I was sitting on. I called the doctor's office and the doctor on call called me back. Dr. Sarinopoulis. So he told me it sounded like I broke my bag and that I should go to the hospital and expect to stay. I said ok and hung up.

I called Jen to come watch Evie and started to get things together. The more I moved around, the more I was convinced that this was me breaking my water, so I had the doctor paged again. I had talked to my doula and told her that they wanted me to go in and that I was concerned that my doctor, MY doctor, Dr. Ehrenberger, had told me I could stay home for 6 hours after my water broke. She told me that I could go in and then ask to be sent home. I heard back from the doctor again and told him I was more certain that I'd ruptured my sac, and that I was reluctant to go in, unless they would be willing to check that it was fluid and then send me home to start labor. He said absolutely not, at which point I let him know that I would not be going in to the hospital, as I REALLY wanted to avoid being induced, and they wounded ready to just go ahead and start induction. He was not amused, but consented to that and wished me luck. Alan and I tucked Evie in, after reading "Big Sister" to her once more, and I got another call from the doctor. He told me that he had just learned that I was group-b strep positive and that he had to advise me to go in to the hospital. I told him that I understood his position, but that I felt comfortable being at home and would go in 6 hours, and they could get me ampicillin then. He caught on that I wasn't rushing in there.

Jen got here and I caught her up to speed. Evie was asleep, so I watched TV with Jen, got some things together, and Alan got the car seats switched and he got packed. And that brings us up to right now. I haven't had any noticeable contractions, so I am getting a little nervous. I know that the longer I wait the more likelihood of infection, so I will abide by the going in around 3 a.m. or so. I am just nervous that they won't give me a chance. We'll have to see what happens in the next few hours, and what my bishop score is when I get to the hospital. At least at that point, they will call Dr. Ehrenberger and we can get on the same page.

Alan is going to take a nap (it's 10:35), Jen and Evie are asleep and I am going to go try to get a little rest. Come out, come out wherever you are, little man. Let the contractions begin!!!

1 comment: