Thursday, April 15, 2010

Getting to where we are

I apparently was not web-savvy enough to do this for this first go-around, but here we go...lengthy first entry, because I have some catching up to do!

The decision to try for Baby #2 took some soul-searching for Alan and me. We love our family of three, love having had such a happy little girl, and didn't know if we'd be pushing our luck, tempting fate, what have you... After seeing Evie with our new nephew, Dustin, over Christmas, we really starting deliberating. We had the room now, we both have fairly stable jobs, and Evie OBVIOUSLY was not averse to the idea.

I had an IUD in, so we knew that it would have to be a deliberate and conscious decision to attempt to have another. There would be no, "Surprise, I am pregnant" that would somehow make the decision for us. I had been reading, online of course, and read about a few "horror stories" from women who had never had any trouble conceiving previously, but had trouble after having had an IUD. Sure, we got pregnant within a month with Evie, but this time I was nervous. I pictured us deciding we deifinitely wanted another baby, and me getting older by the day, while we struggled to get pregnant. 36 sounds so old to me, for having a baby. Yes, my mother was 43 when she had me, but that was luck that she didn't have any trouble and that I was (relatively) normal. :) Plus, I didn't want to do that to a baby...I can remember being at soccer with kids I didn't know well, and them saying, "Hey, Lauri, your grandparents are here." Not malicious, just kids assuming the wrong thing. I don't remember my parents having time or energy to play with or read to me, and I want to be different.

We decided to have the IUD taken out, just in case, and to give me time to "normalize" while we decided. If we decided no baby, Alan was going to have a vasectomy, so I didn't need the IUD anyway. I had it removed January 18th, 2010. I had just had a menstrual period the week before, so I figured it would be at least another 3 weeks before I had another. Nope...try 4 days. January 22nd, it started. I was suspicious that this was some sort of post-removal bleeding, but figured out my potentially fertile days, in case this was a real cycle. When I told Alan, he had not decided in the affirmative, so we used "protection." We originally had decided, that if we were going to try, we'd wait until April, since we didn't want a December baby (all you Filars will understand why.) On the very last day of my calculated fertility window, I mentioned to Alan, in passing, "You know, if we were to get pregnant now, that would give us a Halloween due date." Apparently that was all I needed to say to sway Alan. January 31st -no protection, game on, go time.

I was in a study and was due to have a brain scan again in February, and then fly to San Diego for an Investigator Meeting Feb. 18 - 21st. I didn't get my period by the 16th, but was not suspicious, after what I had read aboout it taking months for some women, following IUD removal. Just in case, the morning of the MRI, I took a urine pregnancy test, which came back negative. I went ahead with the MRI, went to San Diego with Alan and had a really great time.

The night we got back from San Diego (Feb 21st, 2010), I was feeling queasy and excessively tired, even a few hours after our flight. I went to the store, got another test, and "HOLY CRAP" - It was positive! Alan seemed a little shell-shocked. In the days following, I took in excess of 8 tests (we have a ton of extras at work) all of which came back in varying degrees of positivity, but all at least mildly affirmative. I became a regular connoiseur (the ones with the well and pipet are the best!) before I finally got in to get a blood draw with my doctor. I had told Seda, because I knew my secret was safe with her, and cannot keep anything a secret very well, for very long. I also told Mel. Once I got confirmation from the doctor, It started to sink in. I was feeling VERY tired and couldn't eat dinner most nights, and breakfast was iffy, at best, most mornings. Come mid-day, though, Watch your fingers and keep them out of my path if there was food! Ravenous! Not one single episode of vomiting, though, (so far) so that is an improvement over last time. I told most of the peeps at work, because I was SO exhausted all the time, and didn't want them to think I was dying on them, like last time. Other early symptoms included; breast enlargement/pain, acne, not sleeping through the night and FREQUENT urination.

Our first appointment with Dr. Ehrenberger was scheduled for March 30th, because when I called, that is when the receptionist told me to come in. I got there, waited, was brought in to the exam room, and Alan was picking up Evie and coming later, toward when Dr. E would likely be getting in with me. Nikki, Dr. E's assistant, pointed out that it had not been long since I had been in there, and how "efficient" we were at making babies. "What happened to waiting until April?" she said. Alan arrived, Dr. E came in, and gave me a physical and talked to us. He pointed out that it was pretty early for us to be in there, and that we'd not be able to hear a heartbeat at that point (9.5 weeks.) He alleviated some of my fears when he said he had no intention of treating me as "high risk" just because of my age, unless something changed that.

After that visit, I called my mom and siblings and told them all. Most were told, "So, it is official. I can't do the Triathalon in August," and most made the assumption that it was due to me finally getting my shoulder surgery. I informed them otherwise ;) That was fun! Then there were the Filars to tell...and for that, I had other plans!

I had to travel to Chicago for a meeting in early April and was, naturally, bringing Evie. Weeks before, I purchased her a shirt that read 'BIG SISTER' and devised a plan. I would put the shirt on Evie and let them work it out for themselves. It was too cold to unveil the shirt when Maria picked us up at the airport, so I had to wait until we got to their house. The result can be seen in My Videos on my facebook page. It was AWESOME!!! I later told Sange and Matty and then posted the video once I got back. That seemed like a good way to "go public." That was last weekend, so that brings us to now.

Now...I am excited. I am tired, a little queasy, eager, anxious, but mostly, just thrilled! I am so happy we made this decision, and cannot wait to complete our family. Topics to be covered in future installments...How whacked it is to have "gender disappointment," why it pays to keep your baby stuff, and how much I miss beer. Love all around - Mumma, out.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, congrats!! I am excited for you guys and am blessed to know the feelings and emotions you are experiencing. It's nice to know another mom having a baby after an IUD. I have heard too many horror stories. Looking forward to all your future posts!

    ReplyDelete